All entries will be submitted online.
Check back here, at contractdesign.com/healthcareawards, beginning Tuesday, May 28, when the entry submission page will be live and accepting entries.
The entry deadline is Tuesday, July 2, 2013.
Below the 2013 entry information you will find links to view the winners of the 2012 competition.
• Acute (inpatient) Care Facilities
• Ambulatory (outpatient) Care Facilities
• Long-Term Care/Assisted Living Facilities
• Health and Fitness Wellness Facilities
• Landscape Design (healing gardens, etc.)
• Conceptual Design (professional, unbuilt projects)
• Student Design Work
NOTE FOR STUDENT CATEGORY:
Awards will be given for innovative design solutions that enhance the quality of healthcare delivery. Entries can include, but are not limited to, healthcare products (furniture, furnishings, etc.); healthcare settings (patient areas, examination rooms, corridors, etc.); or technology (equipment, systems, etc.).
• Visual and graphic images of interior spaces that support an environment capable of improving the quality of healthcare based on sound evidence-based design principles
• A demonstrated response to the program statement
• A demonstrated partnership between the clients and design professionals
• Statement describing client feedback or testimony that the project seeks to improve the quality of healthcare: Does it demonstrate sensitivity to patient needs and seek to improve therapeutic outcomes, enhance staff performance, and increase visitor and community participation? Were higher satisfaction ratings by patients, families, and staff a key design objective?
FOR PROFESSIONAL CONCEPTUAL AND STUDENT ENTRIES:
• A demonstrated response to the goals mentioned in the project description
• Visual and graphic images that support an environment capable of improving the quality of healthcare
• Winners will be announced at an awards presentation during the 2013 HEALTHCARE DESIGN Conference in November 2013, in Orlando.
• An award will be presented to each winner.
• Winners will be required to assemble presentation boards of projects for display at the 2013 HEALTHCARE DESIGN Conference.
• First-place winners will receive a complimentary registration to the 2013 HEALTHCARE DESIGN Conference.
• Winners will be featured in the October 2013 issue of Contract magazine, which focuses on healthcare design, and at The Center for Health Design’s web site: healthdesign.org.
• Only those that had won or received honorable mention in each category will be notified.
Each entry will be reviewed by a jury of designers and architects with expertise in healthcare design.
Confirmed jurors are: Patrick Leahy, director of architecture at Burns & McConnell; Joan Saba, AIA, FACHA, partner at NBBJ; Rebecca Kleinbaum Sanders, AIA, associate vice president at HGA Architects and Engineers; and Terri Zybrowsky, adjunct faculty at the University Minnesota.
Rules for Entry
• Only entries submitted electronically will be accepted.
• Professional entries (except for conceptual) must be built and fully operational no earlier than September 1, 2011, and no later than June 1, 2013. Entries must not have been entered in previous Healthcare Environment Awards competitions.
• Each entry must include at least six and no more than 10 images.
• Each professional entry must include a $250 entry fee. Student entries have a $25 fee.
• The decision of the judges is final. The judges reserve the right to make no award.
All submittals, complete with payment, must be received electronically by 5:00 p.m. EDT on Tuesday, July 2, 2013. For questions, email Cody Calamaio at email@example.com
>> View the winners of the 2012 competition:
Acute (inpatient) Care Facilities
The 2012 jurors were: Jason Freeland, AIA, ACHA, vice president and director of healthcare design at Heery International; Robin Guenther, FAIA, principal at Perkins+Will and board member of The Center for Health Design; Shannon Kraus, AIA, ACHA, MBA, senior vice president and managing director at HKS Architects.
>> View the 2011 Winners